Black and White Box Testing
Here we will study about Black and White Box Testing along with their differences :
Black Box Testing
Black box testing is the Software testing method which is used to test the software without knowing the internal structure of code or Program
- Tester is aware of what the program should do but does not have the knowledge of how it does it.
- It provides external perspective of the software under test.
- Efficient for large segments of code
- Code access is not required
- Separation between user’s and developer’s perspectives
- Limited coverage since only a fraction of test scenarios is performed
- Inefficient testing due to tester’s luck of knowledge about software internals
- Blind coverage since tester has limited knowledge about the application
Fig: Representation of black box testing
White Box Testing
White box testing is the software testing method in which internal structure is being known to tester who is going to test the software.
- White-box testing requires internal knowledge of the system and programming skills.
- It provides internal perspective of the software under test.
- Efficient in finding errors and problems
- Required knowledge of internals of the software under test is beneficial for thorough testing
- Allows finding hidden errors
- Programmers introspection
- Helps optimizing the code
- Due to required internal knowledge of the software, maximum coverage is obtained
- Might not find unimplemented or missing features
- Requires high level knowledge of internals of the software under test
- Requires code access
Fig: Representation of white box testing
Difference between Black and White Box Testing
|Black Box Testing||White Box Testing|
|Black box testing is the Software testing method which is used to test the software without knowing the internal structure of the program.||White box testing is the software testing method in which internal structure is being known to tester who is going to test the software.|
|This type of testing is carried out by testers.||Generally, this type of testing is carried out by software developers.|
|Implementation Knowledge is not required to carry out Black Box Testing.||Implementation Knowledge is required to carry out White Box Testing.|
|Programming Knowledge is not required to carry out Black Box Testing.||Programming Knowledge is required to carry out White Box Testing.|
|Testing is applicable on higher levels of testing like System Testing, Acceptance testing.||Testing is applicable on lower level of testing like Unit Testing, Integration testing.|
|Black box testing means functional test or external testing.||White box testing means structural test or interior testing.|
527 total views, 5 views today
A Soon-to-be Computer Engineer by profession, he has profound devotion to add Data Scientist as a prefix to his name. He’s been to the nooks of the web (at least of the surface web) and planning to add some real figures in his pocket!