We are discussing on Monitoring Control Systems and their components:
Monitoring Control Systems
It is an important class of real-time systems which continuously check sensors and take actions depending on sensor values.
1 Monitoring Systems
They examine sensors and report their results.
Taking Burglar alarm system as an example of monitoring system,
- The system is required to monitor sensors on doors and windows to detect the presence of intruders in a building.
- When a sensor indicates a break-in, the system switches on lights around the area and calls police automatically.
- The system should include provision for operation without a mains power supply.
- Movement detectors, window sensors, door sensors
- 50 window sensors, 30 door sensors and 200 movement detectors
- Voltage drop sensor
- When an intruder is detected, police are called automatically
- Lights are switched on in rooms with active sensors
- An audible alarm is switched on
- The system switches automatically to backup power when a voltage drop is detected
Fig: Burglar alarm system processes
2 Control Systems
It takes the sensor values and controls hardware actuators.
- A burglar alarm system is primarily a monitoring system. It collects data from sensors but no real-time actuator control.
- Control systems are similar but, in response to sensor values, the system sends control signals to actuators.
An example of a monitoring and control system is a system that monitors temperature and switches heaters on and off.
Fig: A temperature control system
56 total views, 0 views today