Computer aided software engineering CASE
Computer aided software engineering CASE is the application of computer-assisted tools and methods in software development to ensure a high-quality and defect-free software.
- Computer aided software engineering CASE ensures a check-pointed and disciplined approach and helps designers, developers, testers, managers and others to see the project milestones during development.
- It can serve as a repository for project-related documents like business plans, requirements and design specifications.
- Delivery of the final product is more likely to meet real-world requirements as it ensures that customers remain part of the process.
Now we briefly go through various Computer aided software engineering CASE tools
1. Diagram tools:
- These tools are used to represent system components, data and control flow among various software components and system structure in a graphical form.
- For example, Flow Chart Maker tool for creating state-of-the-art flowcharts.
2. Process Modeling Tools:
- Process modeling is method to create software process model, which is used to develop the software.
- Process modeling tools help the managers to choose a process model or modify it as per the requirement of software product.
- For example, EPF Composer.
3. Project Management Tools:
- These tools are used for project planning, cost and effort estimation, project scheduling and resource planning.
- For example, Creative Pro Office, Trac Project, Basecamp.
4. Analysis Tools:
- These tools help to gather requirements, automatically check for any inconsistency, inaccuracy in the diagrams, data redundancies or erroneous omissions.
- For example, Accept 360, Accompa, CaseComplete for requirement analysis, Visible Analyst for total analysis.
7. Design Tools:
- These tools help software designers to design the block structure of the software, which may further be broken down in smaller modules using refinement techniques.
- For example, Animated Software Design.
8. Programming Tools:
- These tools consist of programming environments like IDE, in-built modules library and simulation tools.
- For example, Cscope to search code in C, Eclipse.
9. Web Development Tools:
- These tools assist in designing web pages with all allied elements like forms, text, script, graphic and so on.
- For example, Fontello, Adobe Edge Inspect, Foundation 3, Brackets.
10. Quality Assurance Tools:
- Quality assurance tools consist of configuration and change control tools and software testing tools.
- For example, SoapTest, AppsWatch, JMeter.
Advantages of CASE Tools:
- Reduce the cost as they automate many repetitive manual tasks.
- Reduce development time of the project as they support standardization and avoid repetition and reuse.
- Develop better quality complex projects as they provide greater consistency and
- Create good quality documentation.
- Create systems that are maintainable because of proper control of configuration item that support traceability requirements.
Disadvantages of using CASE Tools:
- Produce initial system that is more expensive to build and maintain.
- Require more extensive and accurate definitions of user needs and requirements.
- May be difficult to customize.
- Require training of maintenance staff.
- May be difficult to use with existing system.
243 total views, 0 views today